Gippsland Grammar's commitment to the development of our students extends beyond the classroom, a dynamic and exciting programme of Outdoor Education experiences.
The paramount objective of the program is to develop each student's positive self-concept.
The broader objectives of the program may be stated as:
- to encourage initiative, stamina and self reliance,
- to challenge a student's adaptability to unexpected and adventurous situations,
- to help reveal the leadership potential and strengths of each student,
- to develop an appreciation and respect for the natural environment,
- to develop a co-operative and caring approach towards others,
- to provide the experience of community living,
- to introduce students to some potential leisure activities, and
- to develop a safety conscious attitude in all outdoor pursuits.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained" is an often heard phrase and one that emphasizes individual effort and self-motivation in a community setting through a wide range of challenging experiences where the need for teamwork and group support is the central focus and where each individual has an important and necessary role to play.
From Year 7 to Year 9 all students participate in the Outdoor Education Program, which is part of the school curriculum. Year 10 and 11 students have the opportunity to participate in optional 'Activity' and 'Leadership' programs, and return as Assistant Leaders on programs for younger students.