Defence Transition Mentor (DTM)/ Defence School Transition Aide (DSTA) Program
These programs provide support to children (both primary and secondary) of Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, particularly during their transition in and out of school on posting or during parental absence due to deployment, exercise or courses.
The DSTA/DTM works in schools to provide information, support and referral for students and their families.
The DSTA/DTM provides assistance to ADF children and families by:
- Assisting students to integrate into the school community
- Co-ordinating appropriate welcoming and farewelling strategies
- Supporting students to develop self-confidence and resilience
- Encouraging students to explore options and make the most of opportunities
- Assisting students manage the challenges of transition
- Monitoring students day to day social and emotional well being
- Monitoring ADF students personal issues such as friendship, peer groups and classroom difficulties
- Raising awareness of Defence related issues facing students such as parental absences due to service requirements.
Parents can contact the school to discuss a student’s transition.
The DSTA at the St Anne's campus is Amanda Canfield and the DTM at both Sale campuses is Elissa Klose who can be contacted through the school.